
Football
Share
Published 11:09 23 Jun 2025 BST
Updated 11:09 23 Jun 2025 BST

The Football Review Committee's proposal to reduce the 50-metre penalty for a foul on a player who catches a kick-out mark, was passed by the Central Council last week.
The mid-season rule change was implemented for the All-Ireland SFC preliminary quarter-finals.
The law has been huge talking point for a while now. It was criticised after the All-Ireland MFC quarter-final between Kerry and Cavan, where people took to social media to show frustration over the 50-metre advancement allowed from a foul.
The issue came under the spotlight after Kerry's All-Ireland SFC round-robin win over Cork, with Kingdom boss Jack O'Connor labelling the rule ridiculous.
Speaking on The Sunday Game, Kerry legend Tomas O Sé feels this is the right change at the wrong time.
O Sé said: "I'd agree with it but I just don't agree with it being changed mid-season.
"We're about four or five weeks out from the All-Ireland final. We've gone through all of the provincials and groups stages - and the next thing you bring this change in.
"Now players and management have to change around the way that they're training as well."
He added: "Now halfway through it (there's more change). I just find it strange to be honest."
Derry great, Chrissy McKaigue, who was also present on The Sunday Game had a different view on this issue.
He said: "I'd echo the sentiments of Tómás but like the Cork-Kerry game a few weeks ago was pandemonium.
"It was actually bad-looking for the game because no one could really get their heads around some of the infringements called.
"There was a considerable breeze so every 50-metre penalty was a two-point score.
McKaigue added: "So for me it's the right decision (to change it now). I understand it's not ideal changing it within the season."
Explore more on these topics:

Legendary Tyrone boss being proven right after staunch anti-AFL stance
He was loud about it! Tyrone’s legendary All-Ireland winning manager, Mickey Harte, has long been banging the anti-AFL drum. As far back as 2006, he was highly critical of the International Rules series, which he felt was taking away from the GAA and providing a platform for players to showcase themselves to Aussie rules teams. […]
Football
2 days ago
Kerry on verge of losing two of their best talents to AFL
Sad times. If Mayo fans think they have it bad with the departures of Kobe McDonald and Oisín Mullin to Australia, Kerry have objectively been hit worse, and it does not look to be getting any better for the Kingdom. According to a report from the Irish Examiner, U20s talents Evan Boyle and Daniel Kirby […]
Football
2 days ago
Mayo star suggests Kobe McDonald could come back this season for club
Football