
Football
Share
Published 09:57 2 Apr 2024 BST
Updated 13:53 2 Apr 2024 BST

Along with fellow GAA player Charlie Smyth, who has been signed by the New Orleans Saints, Beggan and Jackson spent the last month trialling in America, with the hope of securing an NFL kicking contract through the International player pathway.
As of yet, neither Beggan nor Jackson have been snapped up and so they have both decided to return home.
It doesn't signify the end of their NFL dreams, however, with the prospect still alive that the players could be signed by any NFL franchise over the next couple of months ahead of the new season.
Beggan and Jackson had both initially planned to come home in early March but extended their Stateside stay, taking part in the University of South Florida Pro day last week, after which Down man Smyth was offered his contract.
The game throws in on Sunday at 4.00.
Jackson could also be in action, with Oisin McConville's Wicklow footballers taking on Division Three Champions Westmeath in O'Moore Park in Laois, this Sunday in the preliminary round of the Leinster football championship.
Both Wicklow and Monaghan would appear to have missed their respective goalkeepers, with both counties having been relegated in their absence, Wicklow down to Division Four and Monaghan down to Division Two.
Both Beggan and Jackson impressed at various stages throughout their US sojourn, with the Monaghan man hitting a perfect ten from ten kicks in the pro day in Tampa last week. Jackson (25) also hit the headlines having beaten Justin Tucker's record by kicking a mammoth 70 yard field goal.
Speaking after Monaghan's win over Dublin in the early stages of the Allianz National Football League, manager Vinny Corey indicated that Beggan would be welcomed back to the fold with open arms.
“Listen, he’s his own man. They’re all over 18, they can make their own decisions in life," he told TG4.
"What we (Monaghan) do is valuable as well and he loves his club Scotstown, and he loves playing for Monaghan as well so it’s not a foregone conclusion, he’s going to go and explore it but as I said, hopefully he’ll come to his senses at the end of it.”
Explore more on these topics:
It was reported by the Irish news on Monday night that Beggan (31) took part in a training camp with the Monaghan footballers over the weekend, which would indicate he may have a part to play in their championship clash with Cavan in Clones this weekend.

Legendary Tyrone boss being proven right after staunch anti-AFL stance
He was loud about it! Tyrone’s legendary All-Ireland winning manager, Mickey Harte, has long been banging the anti-AFL drum. As far back as 2006, he was highly critical of the International Rules series, which he felt was taking away from the GAA and providing a platform for players to showcase themselves to Aussie rules teams. […]
Football
2 days ago
Kerry on verge of losing two of their best talents to AFL
Sad times. If Mayo fans think they have it bad with the departures of Kobe McDonald and Oisín Mullin to Australia, Kerry have objectively been hit worse, and it does not look to be getting any better for the Kingdom. According to a report from the Irish Examiner, U20s talents Evan Boyle and Daniel Kirby […]
Football
2 days ago
Mayo star suggests Kobe McDonald could come back this season for club
Football