
World of Sport
Share
Published 17:15 10 Apr 2025 BST
Updated 17:16 10 Apr 2025 BST

We are back with the third episode of our Milestones series, where Irish sports stars share the stories and secrets behind memorable photos from throughout their career.
If you haven't already, be sure to check out our first two episodes, with former Donegal All-Star Kevin Cassidy and Irish rugby legend Brian O'Driscoll.
In our latest show, Conor Niland looks back on his career as a 'nearly-man' in tennis, training with Andy Murray and narrowly missing out on a chance to play Roger Federer on centre court.
Conor also told us the desperately unfortunate story behind his match with Novak Djokovic at the 2011 US Open.
He said: "Wow, this is me shaking hands with Novak Djokovic in Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York, after 45 minutes of play.
"I had just played him in the first round of the US Open.
"I guess this is the end of the journey, you just saw the start of it with the photo of me, I guess when I was 2, and this is me at 29 at the biggest tennis court in the world.
"I had just retired with food poisoning against Novak, who was number one at the time.
"I woke up two days before knowing I was playing Djokovic and had just been out for dinner in Manhattan.
"All the restaurants had been closed because there was a hurricane in New York City that weekend, but there were a few open and I went out and got myself food poisoning and was really, really sick in the lead-up to this.
"I saw Djokovic in the locker room looking a million dollars, and here's me feeling as well as I did.
"So yeah, the end of a long two days, shaking hands with Djokovic here.
"I've been through a lot."
Explore more on these topics:
UFC star dies at the age of 34
RIP. UFC fighter, Allan Nascimento, was found dead on Monday, August 3, after suffering an apparent heart attack in his sleep. The Brazilian has an MMA record of 22-7, with his last fight a June loss to Mitch Raposo. However, he had won his four previous bouts, which included two Performance of the Night awards. […]
World of Sport
2 weeks ago
‘Dodgy box’ users might be in danger – 10 suspected providers receive legal warning
Irish ‘dodgy box’ owners may soon be staring at blank screens as crack downs continue in seven counties. The Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT) and Sky have delivered legal warnings to 10 suspected ‘dodgy box’ providers across Ireland in Carlow, Cork, Dublin, Kildare, Galway, Laois and Limerick. The operators are accused of using illegal Internet […]
World of Sport
1 month ago
Live sport on TV in Ireland this weekend – Football, GAA, Rugby – May 29th to May 31st
World of Sport