
Football
Share
Published 16:52 19 May 2025 BST
Updated 16:53 19 May 2025 BST

Pat Spillane revealed his six favourite counties to win the All-Ireland, in the Sunday World, including a struggling Mayo side in his top six.
Mayo fell to a defeat in their opening game of the All-Ireland round robin stage, losing to Cavan 1-17 to 1-14 on Sunday. The Connacht finalists now face difficult matches against Tyrone and Donegal, with the added pressure of losing to arguably the weakest team in the group.
This defeat, on top of the loss in the Connacht decider to Galway two weeks ago, has seen Mayo fans call for an end to Kevin McStay's reign.
Despite the Yew County's poor form, Spillane had them as his sixth-favourite side to win the All-Ireland. The Kerry icon picked his home county as the favourites for All-Ireland glory, changing his number one pick last month which was Donegal.
Spillane's former championship favourites fall to third in his rankings, now below Kerry and Galway. He praised Jim McGuinness' men for their triumph over Armagh, in the Ulster final, and particularly their first-half performance.
Armagh's defeat to Donegal didn't stop Spillane from placing them as his fourth favourites, believing "they lost nothing in defeat" and that they're a "serious bidder". He was impressed with their character and noted key players who missed the final like Joe McElroy, Aaron McKay and Rian O’Neill, will return.
The Kerry native had his concerns about Armagh's lack of goalscoring, but also focused in on the problem with zonal defending.
Spillane said: "I am going to say this about Armagh, but it also applies to Donegal, and even Louth. Zonal defending could cost them in Croke Park. The lack of a kicking game in transition could come back to bite them in the big matches."
Dublin made up the list taking the fifth spot, with no place for Leinster winners Louth or Meath. Neither even were chosen as a dark horse for Spillane, with Cork taking that spot instead.
Spillane said: "...they won’t win the All-Ireland but could cause a shock or two in the coming weeks."
Explore more on these topics:

Legendary Tyrone boss being proven right after staunch anti-AFL stance
He was loud about it! Tyrone’s legendary All-Ireland winning manager, Mickey Harte, has long been banging the anti-AFL drum. As far back as 2006, he was highly critical of the International Rules series, which he felt was taking away from the GAA and providing a platform for players to showcase themselves to Aussie rules teams. […]
Football
2 days ago
Kerry on verge of losing two of their best talents to AFL
Sad times. If Mayo fans think they have it bad with the departures of Kobe McDonald and Oisín Mullin to Australia, Kerry have objectively been hit worse, and it does not look to be getting any better for the Kingdom. According to a report from the Irish Examiner, U20s talents Evan Boyle and Daniel Kirby […]
Football
3 days ago
Mayo star suggests Kobe McDonald could come back this season for club
Football