
World of Sport
Share
Published 12:22 25 Mar 2025 GMT
Updated 13:15 25 Mar 2025 GMT

World Athletics is set to introduce mandatory testing for anyone entering female competitions, verifying their biological sex.
The group have insisted it a 'necessary step' to protect women's sport and address the gender eligibility issue.
Two years ago, they banned transgender females from events.
After a World Athletics Council meeting today, President of the governing body, Sebastian Coe, announced that the group would adopt non-invasive cheek swab tests or dry blood tests.
The test only has to be carried out once on an athlete.
Lord Coe called the testing 'a really important way of providing confidence'.
"This we feel is a really important way of providing confidence and maintaining that absolute focus on the integrity of competition," he said.
The tests verify whether someone has transitioned to a female after going through male puberty, or if they had differences of sex development that provided testosterone advantages.
Lord Coe added: "The pre-clearance testing will be for athletes to be able to compete in the female category.
"The process is very straightforward frankly, very clear and it's an important one and we will work on the timelines.
"Neither of these are invasive. They are necessary and they will be done to absolute medical standards."
This comes after US President Donald Trump declaring there are only two sexes, while calling on sports to ban transgender women from women's events ahead of the 2028 Los Angeles Olympic Games.
The International Olympic Committee previously called a return to sex testing a 'bad idea', but incoming committee President, Kirsty Coventry, has not ruled it out.
Following her election last week, she told Sky News: "This is a conversation that's happened and the international federations have taken a far greater lead in this conversation."
"What I was proposing is to bring a group together with the international federations and really understand each sport is slightly different.
"We know in equestrian, sex is really not an issue, but in other sports it is.
"So what I'd like to do again is bring the international federations together and sit down and try and come up with a collective way forward for all of us to move," she continued.
Providers for the tests are now being sought.
Explore more on these topics:

Virgin Ireland announce groundbreaking TV deal with NFL
World of Sport

UFC star dies at the age of 34
World of Sport
‘Dodgy box’ users might be in danger – 10 suspected providers receive legal warning
World of Sport
UFC star dies at the age of 34
RIP. UFC fighter, Allan Nascimento, was found dead on Monday, August 3, after suffering an apparent heart attack in his sleep. The Brazilian has an MMA record of 22-7, with his last fight a June loss to Mitch Raposo. However, he had won his four previous bouts, which included two Performance of the Night awards. […]
World of Sport
2 weeks ago
‘Dodgy box’ users might be in danger – 10 suspected providers receive legal warning
Irish ‘dodgy box’ owners may soon be staring at blank screens as crack downs continue in seven counties. The Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT) and Sky have delivered legal warnings to 10 suspected ‘dodgy box’ providers across Ireland in Carlow, Cork, Dublin, Kildare, Galway, Laois and Limerick. The operators are accused of using illegal Internet […]
World of Sport
1 month ago
Live sport on TV in Ireland this weekend – Football, GAA, Rugby – May 29th to May 31st
World of Sport