
World of Sport
Share
Published 17:57 22 Aug 2025 BST
Updated 17:57 22 Aug 2025 BST

Ireland's foremost track star, Rhasidat Adeleke, recently pulled out of the upcoming World Athletics Championships in Tokyo.
The Tallaght woman has finished fourth in the 400m at both the 2023 World Championships and 2024 Olympic Games.
Her form so far this season has been patchy, and she announced on Instagram that she would not be running in either the 400m x 4 relay or the 400m at September's big meet.
She said:
Following this, Irish track legend, Sonia O'Sullivan, questioned Adeleke in her Irish Times column over her reasons for puling out.
She wrote: "My first concern for Rhasidat Adeleke right now is that she’s not being entirely open or honest. Not just with herself, but with some of the people around her...
"Maybe another option for Tokyo would have been to just focus on the relay when she realised her individual 400m aspirations weren’t working out.
"If she had the right mindset. That makes you realise, too, the relay will never be a high priority for her.
"But I think she could have considered that, taken a lot of the pressure off that way. Again, maybe people are telling her she’s better than the relay."
Edrick Floreal, who has been the 22-year-old's coach since metting up at the University of Texas 2021, has responded.
He said: “She is honestly injured and cannot compete at a world class level."
Explore more on these topics:
This season has tested me in more ways than I ever anticipated. Lingering injuries & continuous setbacks made it increasingly difficult to train & perform at the level I expect from myself.
Following yet another recent roadblock, I’m saddened to share that I’m unable to finish out this season.
I’ll take this time to heal, recover and do what’s necessary so I can show up next season as my best self, mind and body.
I’m so grateful to everyone that shows me unwavering support. It means the world❤️
Much love - R

Virgin Ireland announce groundbreaking TV deal with NFL
World of Sport

UFC star dies at the age of 34
World of Sport
UFC star dies at the age of 34
RIP. UFC fighter, Allan Nascimento, was found dead on Monday, August 3, after suffering an apparent heart attack in his sleep. The Brazilian has an MMA record of 22-7, with his last fight a June loss to Mitch Raposo. However, he had won his four previous bouts, which included two Performance of the Night awards. […]
World of Sport
2 weeks ago
‘Dodgy box’ users might be in danger – 10 suspected providers receive legal warning
Irish ‘dodgy box’ owners may soon be staring at blank screens as crack downs continue in seven counties. The Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT) and Sky have delivered legal warnings to 10 suspected ‘dodgy box’ providers across Ireland in Carlow, Cork, Dublin, Kildare, Galway, Laois and Limerick. The operators are accused of using illegal Internet […]
World of Sport
1 month ago
Live sport on TV in Ireland this weekend – Football, GAA, Rugby – May 29th to May 31st
World of Sport