
World of Sport
Share
Published 09:58 4 Jan 2022 GMT
Updated 09:59 4 Jan 2022 GMT
Explore more on these topics:
"Obviously, I'm over the moon. I've done it, but... [choking up] obviously me and Mike didn't perform how we can. I can't explain what went wrong for 90% of the match. I just kept swapping darts and trying to find something."Having banged in an incredible 24 maximum 180s in his semi-final win over Gary Anderson - a world championship record - Wright needed to hit a similar vein of form against Smith. He was averaging just over 90 for much of the final, though, and often looked ill at ease. The 51-year-old had admitted his knee was in a brace during the knock-out stages. [caption id="attachment_245663" align="aligncenter" width="594"]
Peter Wright celebrates his world championship win over Michael Smith at Alexandra Palace in London, England. (Photo by Luke Walker/Getty Images)[/caption]
"It's not about me," Wright said, "it's about the future of darts. And this man, he let me in today. I shouldn't have had the first set.""It will be Michael's turn soon," he insisted. Moments later, when Sky Sports interviewed both men just beside the oche, Wright reiterated those classy comments about Smith.
"I just love him to bits," said Wright. "I just feel so bad [for him] because I know that, as soon as he gets a major, he will just trounce everybody. You will. You will."To devote so much time of his two post-match interviews to praise his opponent shows just how highly Wright rates Smith. Asked in the press conference that followed the live TV interviews if he would consider retiring from the pro game on a world championship high, Wright said there was no chance of that happening. "I can win another three," he declared, with a broad grin. Earlier in the tournament, Wright said his decision to stay away from the hotel where many competitors were staying - and book an Air Bn'B instead - had helped him avoid the Covid positive withdrawals that took out the likes of Dave Chisnall and Michael van Gerwen. To be safe, he might as well pre-book the same spot for the next world championship or two.

Virgin Ireland announce groundbreaking TV deal with NFL
World of Sport

UFC star dies at the age of 34
World of Sport
‘Dodgy box’ users might be in danger – 10 suspected providers receive legal warning
World of Sport
UFC star dies at the age of 34
RIP. UFC fighter, Allan Nascimento, was found dead on Monday, August 3, after suffering an apparent heart attack in his sleep. The Brazilian has an MMA record of 22-7, with his last fight a June loss to Mitch Raposo. However, he had won his four previous bouts, which included two Performance of the Night awards. […]
World of Sport
2 weeks ago
‘Dodgy box’ users might be in danger – 10 suspected providers receive legal warning
Irish ‘dodgy box’ owners may soon be staring at blank screens as crack downs continue in seven counties. The Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT) and Sky have delivered legal warnings to 10 suspected ‘dodgy box’ providers across Ireland in Carlow, Cork, Dublin, Kildare, Galway, Laois and Limerick. The operators are accused of using illegal Internet […]
World of Sport
1 month ago
Live sport on TV in Ireland this weekend – Football, GAA, Rugby – May 29th to May 31st
World of Sport