
World of Sport
Share
Published 08:41 10 Feb 2026 GMT
Updated 09:31 10 Feb 2026 GMT

In one of the most powerful images of the games so far, a Ukrainian Winter Olympics athlete wore a specially-made helmet embellished with images of fellow athletes killed during the war with Russia
Skeleton athlete Vladyslav Heraskevych wore the helmet during training on Monday, after vowing to keep attention on the Ukraine-Russia conflict at the Winter Olympics in Milan-Cortina.
On his helmet were boxer Pavlo Ischenko, weightlifter Alina Perehudova, ice hockey player Oleksiy Loginov, actor and athlete Ivan Kononenko, shooter Oleksiy Habarov, diving athlete and coach Mykyta Kozubenko and dancer Daria Kurdel.
“Some of them were my friends,” Heraskevych, 26, told Reuters.
However, Heraskevych says the helmet will be banned for formal competition by the IOC. "It’s because of Rule 50,” he said.
Political demonstrations are prohibited at the Olympic Games, with rule 50.2 of the Olympic Charter stating: "No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites, venues or other areas."
In 2022 at the Beijing Winter Olympics, Heraskevych held up a sign saying "No War in Ukraine" just days before Russia's invasion of his country.
He has recently said he intends to respect Olympic rules against political demonstrations, but wants to keep Ukraine's situation visible during these Olympics.
Russian and Belarusian athletes were largely barred from international sport in 2022 after Russia's invasion, but some athletes have retuned to competition since.
Explore more on these topics:

Virgin Ireland announce groundbreaking TV deal with NFL
World of Sport

UFC star dies at the age of 34
World of Sport
‘Dodgy box’ users might be in danger – 10 suspected providers receive legal warning
World of Sport
UFC star dies at the age of 34
RIP. UFC fighter, Allan Nascimento, was found dead on Monday, August 3, after suffering an apparent heart attack in his sleep. The Brazilian has an MMA record of 22-7, with his last fight a June loss to Mitch Raposo. However, he had won his four previous bouts, which included two Performance of the Night awards. […]
World of Sport
2 weeks ago
‘Dodgy box’ users might be in danger – 10 suspected providers receive legal warning
Irish ‘dodgy box’ owners may soon be staring at blank screens as crack downs continue in seven counties. The Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT) and Sky have delivered legal warnings to 10 suspected ‘dodgy box’ providers across Ireland in Carlow, Cork, Dublin, Kildare, Galway, Laois and Limerick. The operators are accused of using illegal Internet […]
World of Sport
1 month ago
Live sport on TV in Ireland this weekend – Football, GAA, Rugby – May 29th to May 31st
World of Sport