
Football
Share
Published 15:09 3 Jul 2024 BST
Updated 15:09 3 Jul 2024 BST

Taoiseach Simon Harris has reiterated that coverage of the GAA should not be behind a paywall.
Debate about the streaming platform GAA Go has had plenty of coverage in recent weeks, with many claiming the subscription-based package is preventing growth in the Gaelic games by making it less accessible.
Responding to Noel Grealish in the Dáil on Wednesday, Harris emphasised how important it was for the GAA governing body listen to the concern around growing the game at a grassroots level.
"The last time I raised this there was a lot of tut-tutting from top brass in the GAA, and they were very disappointed with my comments, but I’d say this to them, respectfully, far more people are disappointed with how this season has been shown in terms of GAA GO," he said.
"So don’t listen to me if you don’t want, that’s grand, but please do listen to the grassroots of the GAA. The GAA is an amazing organisation and its beauty has been that it is a grassroots organisation.
"And I’ve said many, many times that the GAA needs to listen to the grassroots. I was at the Cork-Limerick match in Páirc Uí Chaoimh earlier this summer, unfortunately many people across the country did not get a chance to see the game because it was behind a paywall. The same, indeed, was true for Galway and Dublin last weekend, as well.
"There has to be a better way of doing this. I’m certainly a big supporter of the GAA, the government is a big supporter of the GAA. But I do think they should listen to the grassroots and I absolutely look forward to meeting with the President of the GAA and the Director General, both of whom have reached out to me on this issue."
There's been plenty of iconic moments throughout the season that have been inaccessible but one of the biggest travesties was for so many fans to miss out on Cork's famous hurling victory against Limerick.
The Rebels beat the All-Ireland champions to inflict a first defeat on them since April 2023.
Additionally, thousands missed out on a famous victory for Galway in the All-Ireland Senior Football Championships quarter final match against Dublin.
Pádraic Joyce's men beat Dublin in a championship game for the first time in 90 years at Croke Park - but fans could only access it through GAA GO.

Legendary Tyrone boss being proven right after staunch anti-AFL stance
He was loud about it! Tyrone’s legendary All-Ireland winning manager, Mickey Harte, has long been banging the anti-AFL drum. As far back as 2006, he was highly critical of the International Rules series, which he felt was taking away from the GAA and providing a platform for players to showcase themselves to Aussie rules teams. […]
Football
2 days ago
Kerry on verge of losing two of their best talents to AFL
Sad times. If Mayo fans think they have it bad with the departures of Kobe McDonald and Oisín Mullin to Australia, Kerry have objectively been hit worse, and it does not look to be getting any better for the Kingdom. According to a report from the Irish Examiner, U20s talents Evan Boyle and Daniel Kirby […]
Football
2 days ago
Mayo star suggests Kobe McDonald could come back this season for club
Football