
Football
Share
Published 15:26 10 Dec 2024 GMT
Updated 15:44 10 Dec 2024 GMT

Limerick hurler Kyle Hayes will have to wait until next February to find out if he will have to go to jail for his violent disorder conviction.
The 26-year-old was given a two-year suspended sentence last December, after being convicted of two counts of violent disorder at Icon nightclub in Limerick in 2019.
However, Hayes was convicted of dangerous driving at Mallow District Court in September, which has triggered a review of his suspended sentence.
At Limerick Circuit Criminal Court on Monday, Hayes' barrister, Brian McInerney, told Judge Colin Daly that the matter could not be resolved yet as Hayes is appealing his dangerous driving conviction, which has to be heard first.
McInerney said: "I am informed that the appeal in the alleged criminal offence is listed for December 19th in Cork, and nothing can happen here before that."
Daly subsequently ordered Hayes to appear before the Limerick Circuit Criminal Court for the suspended sentence hearing on February 10, 2025.
After his violent order charge against Cillian McCarthy, Hayes was also ordered to pay him €10,000 in damages.
The case was surrounded by further controversy when Limerick manager John Kiely gave Hayes a character witness at his sentencing in January.
Kiely said: "Every young man deserves a second chance."
When explaining his action at a later date, he added: "“I think my presence . . . I wouldn’t have gone there unless I wanted to show him that I was there to support him but also that it doesn’t mean I’m condoning what happened at all, quite the contrary.
“Listen, it’s over – it has been dealt with by the courts, we move on.”
“I’m glad that it has come to an end. I’m very much looking towards the future now. I know Kyle is looking towards the future as well and pushing on. That’s it really – I’m just glad that it has come to a conclusion,” said the Limerick boss.
“Listen, none of this is easy for anybody and you’d rather not be in that situation. These challenges are obviously there for everybody involved but ultimately, it’s down to the individuals who are directly involved.
“For all their sakes, I’m sure they’re glad that this part of it has come to a close.”
The GAA also came in for criticism when they awarded the five-time All-Ireland winner a fifth consecutive All-Star last month.
Explore more on these topics:

Legendary Tyrone boss being proven right after staunch anti-AFL stance
He was loud about it! Tyrone’s legendary All-Ireland winning manager, Mickey Harte, has long been banging the anti-AFL drum. As far back as 2006, he was highly critical of the International Rules series, which he felt was taking away from the GAA and providing a platform for players to showcase themselves to Aussie rules teams. […]
Football
2 days ago
Kerry on verge of losing two of their best talents to AFL
Sad times. If Mayo fans think they have it bad with the departures of Kobe McDonald and Oisín Mullin to Australia, Kerry have objectively been hit worse, and it does not look to be getting any better for the Kingdom. According to a report from the Irish Examiner, U20s talents Evan Boyle and Daniel Kirby […]
Football
2 days ago
Mayo star suggests Kobe McDonald could come back this season for club
Football