
Football
Share
Published 12:21 16 May 2025 BST
Updated 12:21 16 May 2025 BST

Niall Scully hopes to play "for three or four seasons" more for Dublin.
The five-time All-Ireland winner revealed his plans ahead of the county's All-Ireland series opener against Galway on Saturday.
Dublin were hit with a number of retirements in recent months, with the likes of James McCarthy and Brian Fenton calling time on their Dublin careers.
Scully, aged 31, is now the same age as when players like Fenton called it quits at inter-county level
When speaking on the likes of the former midfield talisman, Scully pointed out that "he had a couple of years on the panel" when the 31-year-old "wasn’t making it".
The right half-forward had a late start to his Dubs career, making his championship debut at the age of 23 in 2017. He feels retiring now "wouldn’t have felt right".
Scully said: "Individually I worked incredibly hard to get where I am so, just personally, I wouldn’t be able to give it up this season anyway."
Amid the loss of a number experienced players, Scully has now stepped into a leadership role as one of the elder statesmen. He would've previously "just fitted into the squad and gone along with everything".
The former All-Star said: "Now you have lads on the panel who were born in 2002 and 2003 and it is just ‘what!"
"There’s a group of eight or nine of us that are the senior part of the group. You’d like to think that we’re in a position to lead by example and share the knowledge that we have."
Scully added: "And then you’re looking for these younger lads to fit into it and set their own tempo and set their own identity on the squad.”
Despite the huge loss of experience for Dublin, Scully doesn't feel any decision he makes on his playing career will be influenced by this.
He said: “I haven't been to that stage where I felt like I wanted to walk away and could potentially feel guilty about doing so."
The Dubs will be looking to bounce back in Salthill this weekend, following a disappointing defeat against Meath last month in the Leinster Championship.
Explore more on these topics:

Legendary Tyrone boss being proven right after staunch anti-AFL stance
He was loud about it! Tyrone’s legendary All-Ireland winning manager, Mickey Harte, has long been banging the anti-AFL drum. As far back as 2006, he was highly critical of the International Rules series, which he felt was taking away from the GAA and providing a platform for players to showcase themselves to Aussie rules teams. […]
Football
2 days ago
Kerry on verge of losing two of their best talents to AFL
Sad times. If Mayo fans think they have it bad with the departures of Kobe McDonald and Oisín Mullin to Australia, Kerry have objectively been hit worse, and it does not look to be getting any better for the Kingdom. According to a report from the Irish Examiner, U20s talents Evan Boyle and Daniel Kirby […]
Football
3 days ago
Mayo star suggests Kobe McDonald could come back this season for club
Football