
Football
Share
Published 16:05 3 Dec 2025 GMT
Updated 16:05 3 Dec 2025 GMT

A senior member of the Cork hurling management team has left after just three months, according to reports.
The Cork Echo has reported that team coach Niall O’Halloran, who only joined as part of Ben O’Connor’s management ticket in September, has departed, and it is unclear whether O’Connor will replace him.
O’Halloran was Cork minor hurling coach during 2018, and also enjoyed success with MTU Cork, Bandon, Eire Og, Lisgoold and Fr O’Neill’s.
No reason has been reported as to why O’Halloran has left his post after such a short time.
This will come as a blow to O’Connor, who replaced Pat Ryan in the summer after Cork’s All-Ireland defeat by Tipperary at Croke Park.
Best Irish betting offers - 18+, BeGambleAware
Patrick Horgan claims he still does not know why Cork’s homecoming after their July All-Ireland defeat was cancelled.
Horgan, now retired after a Cork hurling career stretching back to 2008, will now pivot to coaching having become a Cork U20 selector.
After their collapse against Tipperary at Croke Park in the summer, the Cork Board said on the Monday after the match that the decision not to stage a public event had been taken “at the request of the team and management”.
However. exiting head coach Pat Ryan, in an interview with the Irish Examiner, disputed this in August, saying the decision had nothing to do with the players and was made prior to the All-Ireland final.
Ryan says that he and Cork’s board had decided that a homecoming would take place if they won, and would not take place if they lost.
Horgan, speaking to SportsJOE, said he still to this day doesn’t know why the homecoming was cancelled, and praised Cork’s “savage” fans, insisting they would support the side anywhere.
Watch his interview below.
Explore more on these topics:

Legendary Tyrone boss being proven right after staunch anti-AFL stance
He was loud about it! Tyrone’s legendary All-Ireland winning manager, Mickey Harte, has long been banging the anti-AFL drum. As far back as 2006, he was highly critical of the International Rules series, which he felt was taking away from the GAA and providing a platform for players to showcase themselves to Aussie rules teams. […]
Football
2 days ago
Kerry on verge of losing two of their best talents to AFL
Sad times. If Mayo fans think they have it bad with the departures of Kobe McDonald and Oisín Mullin to Australia, Kerry have objectively been hit worse, and it does not look to be getting any better for the Kingdom. According to a report from the Irish Examiner, U20s talents Evan Boyle and Daniel Kirby […]
Football
2 days ago
Mayo star suggests Kobe McDonald could come back this season for club
Football