
Football
Share
Published 10:27 12 Nov 2021 GMT
Explore more on these topics:
"I think we've seen enough from the manager," he said. "We know how he approaches the game, we know how the players have responded, we know all the results. "It's a night of positives. They're right within the group to be pleased with how tonight went, and to focus on the positives, and to believe they're going somewhere. https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status/1458876482286141444?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1458876482286141444%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fsport%2Fsoccer%2F2021%2F1111%2F1259403-sadlier-and-brady-clash-over-kenny-contract%2F"Doherty, Idah and Hendrick haven't started a league game yet for their clubs this season - we're nearly three months in. Ogbene and McGrath made their international debuts in June. "These aren't the group of players that any previous set of supporters or manager have been looking at, so given where they are, and where we were earlier in the group, I think they've recovered well. We don't know how far this team can go. "I hope my positivity doesn't sound like it's couached in negativity because the realistic expectations of the squad we have, given that so many of them are new to international football, has to be factored into any analysis.
"The friendlies in March aren't particularly important. If he's not the manager [for the Euro 2024 qualifiers] then get him out of there and get the proper manager to take the full Nations League campaign.
"There's an advantage to replacing him [now] if he's going to be replaced [anyway]."
Former Juventus midfielder Brady, who played 72 times for Ireland during the 1970s and 1980s, saw it differently.
He argued that the FAI should see how Ireland's Nations League campaign goes, and then make a decision on whether Kenny should be in charge for the Euro 2024 qualifying campaign.
"I don't want people to think I'm mealy-mouthed about Stephen Kenny," the former Juventus midfielder began. "I think he's doing a pretty good job. Whether he's the man to take it forward, nor not, I think we should wait before we make that decision.
"Why should we make the decision now? He's got another eight months to run on his contract, so why don't we wait?"It's not about him; it's about whether or not we can qualify for the next Euros. "That's what he said, that's what his aim is. He said the World Cup was beyond us. I think he was honest about that. He didn't say it at the outset, he said it when the whole thing was done and dusted. "The FAI have a chance to assess him even further. We've done it too often in the past, given out contracts and then it has backfired on us. "I would wait."
Live sport on TV in Ireland this weekend – Football, GAA and Rugby – August 21st-24th
The Prem is back! The Premier League is back this weekend, and so are we with our ultimate TV guide. Alongside the English footy, there’s League of Ireland, a heap of club GAA, and some rugby inter-pros. Enjoy the sport and a few pints! Football Friday, 21 August Saturday, 22 August Sunday, 23 August Monday, […]
Football
3 days ago
Reports from Spain say Troy Parrott rejected big Premier League move
He knows what he wants! Following the news of Troy Parrott’s imminent move to Real Betis, more details of the transfer process have come to light. Follow our blog below for more details.
Football
3 days ago
Football
Champions League club ‘in final stages’ of completing Troy Parrott deal
Football