
Football
Share
Published 12:51 17 Jan 2026 GMT
Updated 13:17 17 Jan 2026 GMT

Following Donald Trump’s decision to impose travel bans on 15 World Cup nations, FIFA has now issued a statement.
The US are joint hosts of the next FIFA World Cup, alongside Canada and Mexico, and the travel ban comes into place just a few months before the tournament’s start.
FIFA has now warned the fans and people interested that a match ticket doesn't guarantee you entry to the country.
“A match ticket does not guarantee admission to a host country, and fans should visit each country's government website today for entry requirements for Canada, Mexico and the United States”, FIFA's press release states.
“Given the processing times involved, FIFA recommends submitting the visa application as early as possible.”
“FIFA World Cup 2026 ticket holders travelling to the United States are eligible for the recently announced FIFA Priority Appointment Scheduling System (FIFA PASS) when it becomes available in the coming weeks”, it said.
Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem previously explained the reasoning for the bans in a strong-worded post on X (formerly Twitter).
“I just met with the President. I am recommending a full travel ban on every damn country that’s been flooding our nation with killers, leeches, and entitlement junkies”, she wrote.
“Our forefathers built this nation on blood, sweat, and the unyielding love of freedom — not for foreign invaders to slaughter our heroes, suck dry our hard-earned tax dollars, or snatch the benefits owed to AMERICANS. WE DON’T WANT THEM. NOT ONE.”
Fans of countries like Iran and Haiti were already told that they won't be able to attend, while the fans of Senegal, Ivory Coast, Brazil, Colombia, Egypt, Ghana, Jordan, Morocco, Tunisia and Uruguay may just have had their plans thrown into doubt.
Eight countries on that list have had their immigrant visa processing suspended, while Senegal and the Ivory Coast are under partial travel bans.
The list also includes Iraq, Jamaica and Democratic Republic of the Congo, them being countries which could still qualify for the tournament through playoff fixtures.
Explore more on these topics:
The American president made it clear that he is against certain countries visiting the US, taking the total tally to 75 this week.
Trump announced his administration’s decision to “indefinitely” pause applications for citizens of 75 countries, impacting an estimated two billion people around the globe, in a reported attempt to further curb the level of immigration into the United States.
Live sport on TV in Ireland this weekend – Football, GAA and Rugby – August 21st-24th
The Prem is back! The Premier League is back this weekend, and so are we with our ultimate TV guide. Alongside the English footy, there’s League of Ireland, a heap of club GAA, and some rugby inter-pros. Enjoy the sport and a few pints! Football Friday, 21 August Saturday, 22 August Sunday, 23 August Monday, […]
Football
2 days ago
Reports from Spain say Troy Parrott rejected big Premier League move
He knows what he wants! Following the news of Troy Parrott’s imminent move to Real Betis, more details of the transfer process have come to light. Follow our blog below for more details.
Football
2 days ago
Football
Champions League club ‘in final stages’ of completing Troy Parrott deal
Football